Pec pod Sněžkou
Contemporary Problems of Low Temperature Physics
is one-week off-site seminar for Bc. students in beautiful region of Pec pod Sněžkou with the highest Czech montain Sněžka (1603 m).
The seminar will be held from 29.4.2018 (Sun) to 4.5.2018 (Fri).
Invite your friends by sending them an invitation.
In order to register for the seminar, enroll in the course NFPL180 or contact doc. Mgr. Jaroslav Kohout, Dr. (see below).
The program is organized as an introduction to various aspects of low temperature physics, hyperfine interactions and nuclear methods in solid state physics for beginners and involves description of current scientific investigation in low-temperature physics.
- Temperature scale and the role of temperature in physics. Low temperature physics and topics of investigation.
- Basic properties of 4He and 3He, liquifaction, thermal insulation, Dewar vessels, cryostats. Fermi-Dirac and Bose - Einstein quantum statistics. Ideal Bose gas, Bose - Einstein condensation (BEC). Ideal Fermi gas, Fermi liquid. Phase diagrams of 4He and 3He, superfluidity, hydrodynamics and quantized vortices. 3He-4He mixtures, dilution refrigerator. Adiabatic demagnetization, nuclear demagnetization. Thermometry.
- Superconductivity - basic properties, ideas and application. Josephson phenomena. High temperature superconductivity.
- Physical properties of solids at low temperature. Metals, insulators, semiconductors - phonons, electrons, holes. Introduction into energy spectrum, valence and conduction band. Debay temperature. Quantum Hall effect. Magnetism at low temperatures. Nuclear magnetism, Van Vleck paramagnets.
- Nuclear methods in condensed matter physics. Principles of nuclear magnetic resonance - Larmor precession, Bloch equations, spin echo. NMR in magnetics, hyperfine interactions. Nuclear magnetic imaging. High resolution NMR. Nuclear orientation. Mössbauer spectroscopy. Positron annihilation.
doc. Mgr. Jaroslav Kohout, Dr.
Tel.: +420 221 912 788
Výukové a školicí středisko UK Praha
Velká pláň 159
542 21 Pec pod Sněžkou
Instructions for participants: